Wednesday 1 October 2014

October Challenge with Visible Image

Another month has started and thus we have a new challenge over at Visible Image. The theme this month is, not surprisingly, 'GET SPOOKY!'

Well, it didn't take me long to get things going with an atmospheric scene using the castle from the Once Upon a Time set and the Large Winter Tree.




I started by stamping the castle, then masking and stamping it twice more to make the castle look much bigger. Then using a big circle cut from a sticky note (the sticky bit being used to hold the mask down) I set about creating the sky. I also kept the castles masked during this process.

Taking a piece of torn paper I used Tim Holtz Weathered wood distress ink on a stencil brush to smudge in the clouds. I kept moving the paper, sometimes brushing down from the top, sometimes brushing up from the base. The overall effect is quite dramatic and above all SPOOKY! I removed the masks and very carefully shaded the moon a little with barely a touch of Tim Holtz Scattered Straw, and I mean barely a touch! If you have remembered to keep the piece you cut the circle from you have an exactly the right size stencil to use!

I then used Peeled Paint for the grass in much the same way as for the clouds. I finished the grassy area off with some more black pen lines. I used a black fine liner pen and continued the lines from the stamp to give an horizon and to makes mounds in the grass paying attention to the darker areas.

Because the stamps are clear it was really easy to make sure I was 'planting' my trees in the right place. I didn't want the trees to look like they were floating! I wanted to have a little bit over the castle and a twig or two over the moon. Finished it all off with a few birds from the Free your Imagination set. I don't have the Edward set sadly, there are bats on there and they would have looked even better!

Sky close-up


visible image stamps Once upon a time  0 Visible Image Winter Tree stamp  AWM Free Your Imagination ws2012


Now, this second piece is a bit of a mystery to me! But then that is how my creative mind works sometimes! I have no idea what it is meant to be. The idea was more about dreams and nightmares I think, more FREAKY and SCARY than spooky with bending walls and floating skulls 

I sometimes get the urge to do something over and over again and this is how this piece started. Helen had supplied me with the Max Rocks stamp set and I used all the little companion images. I stamped onto a piece of paper I had coloured using Brushos and then bleached out certain areas. 




visible image stamps max rocks teenage skulls character stamp x


I won't dwell on it, I will let you decide how you feel about it. PLEASE leave a comment, either about the Wall & Skull project or the blog in general, below. I love reading your comments.


%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%

Click HERE to find out how to enter the challenge

Click HERE to go to the Facebook group. Ask to join if you haven't already. 

Click HERE to subscribe to the Newsletter

Click HERE to go to the blog to see the other DT inspiration projects for this month. 

Click HERE to go to my KimzKrafts Facebook page


%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%


Have a great week, hope you have been inspired to GET SPOOKY!

Kim

2 comments:

  1. Awesome work Kim! Love your eerie scene! The second one is amazing! Your walls with skulls remind me of a fairground haunted fun house.. very creative indeed! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. An amazing scene Kim and the second one is gorgeous too!

    ReplyDelete